Do you. Repeat times ten.

Monday, February 20, 2012


For the majority of my adult life I have been envious of the lives of others. I began following blogs at an early (and probably very impressionable) time in my life and I believe that this has caused me to get wrapped up in how my life compares to others' lives.

I can't even begin to tell you how many problems I have with this, and yet I can't stop myself.

I'm drawn to blogs that contain beautiful pictures and descriptions of every day life, because this is what I enjoy blogging about, but I can't help but see all the differences between us all. Perhaps the problem is that because we don't yet have children, or that my husband and I tend to be home bodies, I have this awful habit of somehow thinking that this diminishes our existence. Actually, this has so little to do with the new life I have built here in Las Vegas with my husband. It has to do with these ridiculous insecurities that I have with myself; that I'm not as exciting as the next person, not as artistic or interesting or talented. If I feel this way about myself surely others must as well, right?

....

I'm reading all of these blogs and studying their photos, and wanting their lives. But why would I want anyone else's life? I can't compare my life to these other lives because they are in different stages. They already have children, or perhaps they still have the time and money to focus on travel and leisure. They all have different priorities in life.

And so I realized this past weekend is that my life is beautiful, and it deserves to be documented just as much as all the others. So this week I'm going to focus on documenting my every day life, just as it is: simple and sweet, just the way I like it.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I'm guilty of this sometimes too. Probably more than I'd like to admit, but I think that's just human nature...to compare ourselves to others, and see how our lives 'measure up' to other people's lives. So for me, whenever I start feeling this way, I just try to remind myself that I am so lucky to have the life I have. And I bet there are tons of people out there, whether you know them in real life, or online, that are envious of YOUR life. Great post Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hell is other people.

    That saying always comes back to me with different meanings, and I think one of them fits here.

    You are awesome.

    -V

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful. This is a place for positivity, inspiration, + constructive criticism. Comments are moderated. Those that are deemed inappropriate, including general or self-promotional spam, untruths, offensive or harassing statements, profanity or comments unrelated to the post will be deleted.

Subscribe