6 Novels that made me fall in love with the Suspense/Thriller genre

Tuesday, February 09, 2016


I'm the first to admit that when it comes to reading I tend to stick to a couple genres; namely mainstream fiction and contemporary romance. I hadn't given much thought to what I might be missing out on until I started following Abby (Crime By The Book) on instagram and became very intrigued by some of the books she was posting about. I decided to check one out, and then another, and then another, and soon enough I knew that I had been missing out on a great genre: suspense/thrillers.

Here are 6 suspense/thriller books I've recently read:


YOU by Caroline Kepnes
I still get chills when I think about this book; it's one of those reads where you simply can't keep quiet. I was constantly gasping and shivering, and setting the book down on my lap to stare blankly at my husband, in complete awe. Any book that Stephen King calls "hypnotic and scary" is bound to be good. I cannot wait for the sequel to come out this month!


PRETTY GIRLS by Karin Slaughter
My gosh did I love this one. Secrets, lies, vengeance... this one kept me on my toes. After reading it I immediately thrust it into the hands of a girlfriend of mine who loved it just as much.


GIRL ON THE TRAIN by Paula Hawkins
I'm sure you've heard enough about this title that you don't need me to tell you how good it was... but I'm going to anyways. I absolutely devoured this one. It's quite possibly one of the best books I've ever read and I highly suggest it. It had me guessing right up until the end and I absolutely cannot wait to see what Hawkins comes up with next.


EENY MEENY by M.J. Arlidge
This is the first book in the DI Helen Grace Thriller series and I knew two pages in that I was going to be reading every book that comes out in the series. And I have, in fact, just finished the third book, The Doll's House, that was released earlier this month. Do yourself a favor and pick up these books.


THE TRUTH AND OTHER LIES by Sascha Arango
What can I say about this book other than: wow. The book is about a fammous author whose wife, who is the actual writer of his novels, dies, leaving him to deal with the consequences. It's full of twists and turns and had me on the edge of my seat.


3 TRUTHS AND A LIE by Lisa Gardner
This was a quick read as it's a novella, and while I wasn't bowled over by it, it did give me a sense of what kind of writer Lisa Garnder is, and intruiged me just enough that I will be tracking down her new release, Find Her, that was released today.


What suspense/thriller books do I need to put on my to-be-read list next? What are you reading that you just can't put down?

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. I love this post, Rachel!! I read Girl on the Train, which I enjoyed very much. I'm new to this genre, as well. You've inspired me to pick up a couple more suspense/thrillers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for commenting, Jessica, and I'm so glad that I've inspired you to try some more books in the genre! Let me know what you end up reading!

      Delete
  2. I'm loving suspense/thrillers right now too! I enjoyed Sharon Bolton's Lacey Flint series, and I'm on the 4th book in Karin Slaughter's Will Trent series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check out Sharon Bolton! Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  3. Have you read Gone Girl? The Girl on the Train is often compared to that one, and I really liked both of them. Another good thriller/suspense I recently read is Tell No Lies by Gregg Hurwitz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually haven't read Gone Girl, but a girlfriend of mine just handed me "Sharp Objects" to read. If I like this one then maybe I will give GG a go! And thanks for the recommendation on Tell No Lies, I will definitely look into that one.

      Delete
  4. Check out the Cormoran Strike series by J.K. Rowling (writing under the pen name Robert Galbraith). Crime with humour and likeable characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie, I will definitely check out that series!

      Delete
  5. I'm reading You right now, and you're right, it is so, so good and creepy in the best way. I'm adding the sequel to my Amazon shopping cart as I type this :)

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful. This is a place for positivity, inspiration, + constructive criticism. Comments are moderated. Those that are deemed inappropriate, including general or self-promotional spam, untruths, offensive or harassing statements, profanity or comments unrelated to the post will be deleted.

Subscribe