THE LIFE OF AN AUTHOR WITH A FULL-TIME JOB + A THREE-YEAR-OLD

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Writing a book is hard work. Writing a book while working and parenting full-time is even harder.

Here's a little glimpse at how most of my (work) days go.

5AM -- Open my eyes (usually on my own... no alarm necessary) and try to wake up. Get out of bed, pour myself some warm water with lemon, and settle down in the dark family room to write.

5:45-6:15AM -- Some time during this time, my three year old wakes up. Since my husband has already left for work, I'm on my own with getting him breakfast, changed and off to daycare.

8:15AM -- Back from daycare drop-off and my work day begins. I work from home and usually eat lunch at my desk. Sometimes, if I need a break, I will take my laptop into the backyard and write for a few minutes.

4:15PM -- My husband picks up our son from daycare and they immediately head out into the backyard to play while I try to write.

5:30PM -- I start on dinner and we all eat together. After dinner we spend time playing.

7:00PM -- Our son goes into the bath. Usually my husband does this while I tidy up downstairs. Maybe once a week, I head off to a coffee shop to get some writing done, though this hasn't been happening as of late...

7:45PM -- I watch an episode of Handy Manny on the iPad with my son in his bed and then it's lights out.

8:00PM -- If the hubby is up for it, we watch an episode of whatever TV show we're binge watching at the time. If he's out, or not interested, I will start writing.

9:00PM -- If I'm not too tired, I try to write.

9:30 - 10:00PM -- I am not a night owl, so usually by now I'm asleep, hoping for more time tomorrow to write.

And there you have it: the life of an author with a full-time job and a three-year-old.

TELL ME: WHAT DOES YOUR DAY LOOK LIKE?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Please be respectful. This is a place for positivity, inspiration, + constructive criticism. Comments are moderated. Those that are deemed inappropriate, including general or self-promotional spam, untruths, offensive or harassing statements, profanity or comments unrelated to the post will be deleted.

Subscribe