on opening up

Friday, March 28, 2014

if you haven't noticed, i've been getting a lot more personal around here these days (onetwo and three). the reasoning is two pronged; one: i didn't want my blog to be all about scrapbooking (though there is of course nothing wrong with blogs that are, but BCQ is a lifestyle blog), and two: i have all of these thoughts/concerns/ideas in my head and i thought that maybe, just maybe, other people out there are going through the same thing.

boy was i right.

i'm blown away by the feedback from my personal posts. comments on the blog, comments on instagram and even emails. emails from strangers, someone who happened upon my blog, read it, and connected and my god! i feel so blessed that so many of you felt the need to reach out and tell me that you have been feeling the same way, or needed to read my words to know you're not alone. i am so thankful for each and every one of you.

however.

i did have one person reach out, someone who knows me a little more personally, and ask if i thought it was smart to be so personal on my blog. "isn't that stuff you should keep to yourself? just write in your journal for only you to see?"

and i thought: why? i'm not sharing anything that i'm uncomfortable with. i don't write anything that offends people (hopefully!). what i do is open up. i'm real. i'm honest. i write about the tough side of parenting. i write about tough relationships and bad days. these days who wants to read a blog that is so perfectly photographed, curated and edited that you can't see the author in all of it?

the blogs that i love are all written by people who are real and honest, and that's what keeps me coming back.

so to all of you who keep coming back, who comment and reach out: thank you. i hope that you continue to find someone you like here in my little space.

xo,
rdg

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. It doesn't seem to me that you've shared anything unwise to share. Therefore the choice seems pretty neutral--to find your level of sharing comfort, as you seem to be working on, and write honestly from there. If I'm to be honest, I feel a bit disappointed that someone close to you encouraged you to close back up. We women get that SO MUCH already.

    You inspire me to put more of myself into my blog. BCQ is one of the main inspirations in the overhaul of my site I'm currently in the middle of. I used to think that blogging required a kind of detachment--but why should it. WE make the rules. Keep on going exactly how you feel is right, sister! And don't be afraid of offending people, either. This is the internet, after all. We all know what we're getting into, opening these screens to read. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "If I'm to be honest, I feel a bit disappointed that someone close to you encouraged you to close back up. We women get that SO MUCH already. " - that's very true (and sad) isn't it...

      thank you for commenting. i am always so happy that i can inspire anyone!

      Delete
  2. I like you prefer my blog choices to be a mixture of crafts, but also the 'real' blog posts. The ones that you feel you can hear their voice in your head as your reading, as if they are speaking with you over coffee, pouring their heart out, sharing their life and trusting in you with a response of maybe support, encouragement or just to know you are not alone.

    I recently did a post, if you like to check it out, but don't feel you have to : http://kelliewinnell.typepad.com/blog/2014/03/having-a-baby-as-a-teen.html

    Some of my close friends follow my blog FB page and they commented. As you would know, sometimes that then shows up in their friends feed and a few more that I went to school with started commenting and reading and it got a lot of hits. I started to freak at start, but then I thought, best they know what I really went through, being that most of them were around me at the time.

    I love your blog, hence why I just awarded you with the liebster award. I know the gorgeous Caylee also did, but I honestly love stopping by your blog often in my morning in the office with my cuppa. You have the perfect mix of craft and real life that is just perfect!

    [sorry bit long]...

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful. This is a place for positivity, inspiration, + constructive criticism. Comments are moderated. Those that are deemed inappropriate, including general or self-promotional spam, untruths, offensive or harassing statements, profanity or comments unrelated to the post will be deleted.

Subscribe