(un)happiness

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

i've always strived to be open, honest and real here in this space, and while that does often leave me feeling raw and vulnerable, i have found an awful lot of comfort in putting my thoughts out into the world and the response that i often receive when i do so. as such, i want to continue to only speak the truth, and not sugar coat my life in any way.

the truth is: as far back as i can remember, i have found it hard to maintain a solid level of happiness. i constantly ebb and flow. in fact, depression runs in my family - more specifically the women - and i have had a couple bouts in the past fifteen years.

when i am feeling unhappy, the first thing i often do is go out and buy some clothes, or new scrapbooking supplies, or something new for the house, thinking that i would feel better if only: i had nicer clothes, or a gorgeously decorated house. if only. if only. if only.

what i have come to realize lately is that everything i need to be a happier person is already inside of me. material possessions are not going to make a lick of a difference. in fact, once the shine factor wears off, i am left feeling guilty and stupid over spending the money in the first place.

everything that i need to be a happier person is already inside of me. i just have to find a way to bring it out. how do i do that? well, i think it begins with changing my attitude.

"I’m always happy with what I’m doing, because I don’t compare it to anything else, and instead pay close attention to the activity itself. I’m always happy with whoever I’m with, because I learn to see the perfection in every person. I’m always happy with where I am, because there’s no place on Earth that’s not a miracle. 
life will suck if you are always wishing you are doing something else. life will rock if you realize you're already doing the best thing ever. " 
zen habits

i am making a conscious effort to be more present in my daily activities, to see the beauty in cleaning the kitchen and emptying the dishwasher.

i'm finding a way to prioritize the things that truly bring me joy, like spending time outside with my son, reading and writing. 

i will begin writing a gratitude list each night before bed.

and instead of focusing on all the things that i want to change about myself, i'm going to begin focusing on the things about myself that i am happy with, because this unhappiness that i often feel begins and ends with me and my (often negative) attitudes towards myself and my life.

i'm ready to regain control of my life. 

everything that i need to be a happier person is already inside of me.

xo,
rdg

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Thank you for this article, I know a lot of people can relate in some ways or others with you. I know I often feel lost in regards to my job/career but I've just learn to appreciate what I do have and it always makes me feel better. I love this book The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin it helped me somehow find my way :) Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who just clicked 'order' on a completely unnecessary online shopping spree I can completely relate. Thanks for this today :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is completely on point with how I feel. Thanks for writing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mantra is "this is all there is." It is one of those statements that is much bigger than the few words it takes to say it. Some days it is a little depressing, some days it opens my mind up to infinite possibilities and happiness. Either way, it brings a little peace about the state of things. -V

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess what I'm saying is, I relate. That's my little way of dealing. -V

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful self-reflection. I think we all struggle with this from time to time...I know I definitely have my days, especially when I am tired or impatient with my son.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful. This is a place for positivity, inspiration, + constructive criticism. Comments are moderated. Those that are deemed inappropriate, including general or self-promotional spam, untruths, offensive or harassing statements, profanity or comments unrelated to the post will be deleted.

Subscribe