project life | my 2014 approach (revised)

Monday, June 02, 2014


i'm busy enjoying my best friend and her family being in town, so in lieu of my usual project life spread post, there's this :)

it's been over five months since i first wrote about my 2014 project life approach, and i thought it might be a good idea to go over a few things since i did in fact make some changes with putting together my albums this year.



  1. to round or not to round. going into 2014 i had it in my head that i needed to either round all of my corners or none at all. turns out i don't really mind if the edges aren't all uniform! i was also convinced that i would do more journalling on the computer before printing (not the case, it appears) and that i would use a weekly review card each week (definitely didn't do that).
  2. dividers. i didn't like the way the midnight edition dividers looked in my album. i found the colors and designs too distracting, so i changed them to the clear dividers.
  3. title cards. i had thought that i would keep all of my title cards uniform. throughout my spreads this year i've been experimenting, trying to find a look that i like. for a while, a photo of me out on my street was doing the trick, but when i (temporarily) gave up weekly spreads, that fell to the wayside. what i believe i've decided on now, is to include a photo of myself in the title card slot and leave it at that.
  4. album labels. for the binder labels, i used ones that i designed that are offered as a freebie!
  5. page designs. going into 2014, i also thought that i would use only design a pages. what i definitely learned is that i like to switch it up. i get bored using the same style of page over and over. this year, i've found that some of my favorite spreads mix and match different pages.







lastly, i knew that i would be using more digital elements, and becoming part of the digital design essentials creative team cemented this. i'm still a huge, huge fan of paislee press and this spread using liz's products is one of my all-time favorites.

really, the point of all this is that you can have a plan and think you're going to stick to it, but you never know what kind of inspiration will hit, and how it will drive you. i say: embrace it and have fun, because that's what this is all about, no?

what have you done differently this year than planned?

Project Life is a product, system and a lifestyle created by Becky Higgins. In 2014, I'm creating spreads throughout the year. Here are all of my pages from 2013 + 2014.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. So true. It's good to have a plan, but there are no rules!

    I thought I'd let the weekly spreads go, and I still have no rules about sticking to them, but I actually have stuck to them so far. I'd like to get a photo of myself and my husband in every spread, but that doesn't always happen. And most week's I'm including a favorite song since we tend to listen to a lot of music, but sometimes I just don't have room or I forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl, there has been SO much that I've done differently this year than I had planned. So much so, that I'm going to write an entire post about it at some point (hopefully this month!).

    I am so envious that you have such a knack for mixing and matching page designs. I fail miserably at every attempt I make at mixing things up, but in the end I don't dwell on it because I think I'm too Type A to not have "matching" page designs each week. It also makes it much easier for me to plan. But Rachel. GIRL. YOU ROCK THIS.

    I think the biggest takeaway I've learned from PL this year is this: what you like about someone else's style doesn't always mesh well with your own style. It seems contradictory at first, but I firmly believe it.

    Hope you're enjoying your long weekend with friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you totally rock those different page protector designs and this totally inspired me to try this next year.

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful. This is a place for positivity, inspiration, + constructive criticism. Comments are moderated. Those that are deemed inappropriate, including general or self-promotional spam, untruths, offensive or harassing statements, profanity or comments unrelated to the post will be deleted.

Subscribe