3 Things from the past week

Sunday, April 16, 2017

1. I try not to be the kind of person that imagines their life looking any different than just the way it is, but sometimes... sometimes I catch a glimpse of a beautifully dressed woman in impeccable heels getting into her Mercedes and I wonder what her week will look like. Or I turn to my husband and say: in another life, I'd live on the road, writing in a different coffee shop each day. Or I nod along when he tells me he'd love to live even a day in the life of the families that own the beach houses we passed the shoreline of La Jolla last weekend. 

2. A girlfriend of mine who I've known online for a couple years now is writing some of the most honest, heart breaking words I may have ever read. It seems silly to tell her how brave she is for putting them out into the world, but that's exactly what she is. You see, I worry too much about what people think of me. I always have. I wish, for just one moment, I could open myself up the way she does. I'm so lucky to know her; she's going to do some wonderful things. 

3. I'm slowly realizing that I'm going to have to be one of those writers who makes the time to write. It isn't readily available to me. With a child and a full-time career and a husband and all the responsibilities that come along with that, I'm going to have to steal extra hours. It's going to mean nights like Friday night when I make coffee at 9 p.m. and sit down on the couch with my laptop. It's going to mean setting an alarm and waking up earlier than everyone else. It means continuing to steal moments here and there--like the time I waited in line at the post office for ten minutes, writing chapter notes in the Notes app on my iPhone. It means choosing, today, right now, to open up my laptop and write instead of turning to Netflix to watch the next episode of 13 Reasons Why.

But I'd choose this life over any other life. Ask me tomorrow and I'll say the same.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Please be respectful. This is a place for positivity, inspiration, + constructive criticism. Comments are moderated. Those that are deemed inappropriate, including general or self-promotional spam, untruths, offensive or harassing statements, profanity or comments unrelated to the post will be deleted.

Subscribe