Project Life • My Process

Monday, January 06, 2014



I've had a number of requests through Instagram to share my project life process, and since I adore every single one of my followers, I'm going to do just that.

Photo organization

I back up all photos I take throughout the week into a folder system exactly like Caylee Grey. She has an amazing post about it here, where she even shares a download with you, that you should definitely check out. Photos from each week go into their corresponding folder regardless of whether they came from my iPhone or DSLR.



Editing

Once I'm ready to put my layout together, I import all of the photos from the week into Lightroom, where I do most of my editing. When it comes to my iPhone photos I have more often than not already edited them with VSCO cam. If not, I will edit them in Lightroom using VSCO Film.


want to do any heavy editing, I open them as a Smart Object in Photoshop (Right click the image in Lightroom, choose Edit In → Open as Smart Object in Photoshop).  From there, I make any changes in Photoshop, save the file, and the newly edited image appears back in Lightroom.

Lastly, I use the crop tool under the Develop module to resize my photos if necessary (for example, photos from my iPhone are naturally a 3x4 aspect, and I may want to print some as 4x6).

Printing and prepping



Now that I have my edited photos in Lightroom, I click on the print module, navigate to the cells menu, and add in the sizes necessary. In most cases, I'm printing (2) 4x6's and (1) 3x4 to a page (hint: if you rotate one of your 4x6's vertically it leaves room for the 3x4 image to go beside it, thus maximizing the amount of pictures you can print per page!) I am also sure to check "cut guides" to make it easier for trimming down the line.

I'm sure that you could print right from this screen, but I save my pages as a PDF, save it to the corresponding weekly folder and print from there.

I have tried a lot of different kinds of paper and found my favorite to be Kodak Matte. I realize that the matte look isn't for everyone, but glossy kind of got on my nerves after a while. I print on an Epson WF-3540 4-in-1 printer. My husband and I both use the printer and we decided against going the photo printer route, not that there is anything wrong with it. We did our research and found that Epson is one of the cheaper brands in terms of ink cost, and that my friends is important when you are printing photos at home.

Once my photos are all printed, I trim them down with my Fiskar 12" paper trimmer and insert them into my page protectors. Et Voila!

That about sums up my process. If you have any questions or comments please let me know and I will do my best to answer them in a timely manner! Happy scrapbooking everyone!

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I am absolutely in love with your album label. I see Santa spoilt you with the WRMK album :)

    Thanks for sharing this. I love that you save everything as a .pdf. Do you keep this pdf indefinitely or do you delete it after a while ? I am also going to try printing at home this year, so thanks for the photo paper recommendation.

    Love this post, honey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually end up deleting the PDF after a while, but I keep all of the photos in the appropriate photo.

      Delete
  2. this is such a good idea. i've been thinking of doing something similar to this at the end of every month—but instead of printing them myself just ordering prints of everything thru costco. although if i was printing them at home, it would probably be more likely to get done. we'll see how i well i do.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how organized you are! I want to get more organized with my photos, even if I'm not doing project life (tear!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so helpful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful. This is a place for positivity, inspiration, + constructive criticism. Comments are moderated. Those that are deemed inappropriate, including general or self-promotional spam, untruths, offensive or harassing statements, profanity or comments unrelated to the post will be deleted.

Subscribe