Excerpts from my Journal | 03

Wednesday, November 26, 2014


I didn't tell him that the reason I went out last night with him was because I knew it was a situation I would normally have avoided: a room full of people I don't know, making small talk abound; a night that didn't even begin until 9:30pm, and in this case didn't end until 1:30am when I collapsed into bed.

I didn't tell him that I went last night because I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it, do it well, and make it out alive.

++

I can't recall if it was last night or this morning, but I was laying in bed and thought: I feel as though we're different people now. I feel like I can't relate to her the way I used to; I thought we'd at least always have that. I'm trying to recall what we have in common, beyond motherhood, but I'm drawing a blank. 

++

I read in a book the other day that too many people feel they go through their lives not really living it, rather, simply existing. Reading that was like a punch in the stomach. "That's me," I thought. "That's exactly how I feel." And after I caught my breath I thought, ok,now that I've said it, what can I do about it?

++

So here it is, the truth: I'm too hard on myself. I can't be everything for everyone and I can't sacrifice what I want it order to make everyone else happy.

I'm a good mother. I may be impatient at times and need time away from DJ, but I am a good mother.

Stop being so hard on yourself, Rachel.

You are a good mother.

++

As I collapsed onto the bed in tears, all I could think was: this is the second time I've cried this week and it's only Wednesday.

xo,
rdg
Excerpts from my journal, inspired by Ronnie.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I hope your week got better. What book did you read? It sounds like a must read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't recall the name of the book unfortunately ... that entry was from months ago :(

      Delete
  2. These are my favorites of all your great posts. So raw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recognise this so much! I also have to tell myself I'm a good mother from time to time. Thanks for being so hounest.
    hugs Ing

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful. This is a place for positivity, inspiration, + constructive criticism. Comments are moderated. Those that are deemed inappropriate, including general or self-promotional spam, untruths, offensive or harassing statements, profanity or comments unrelated to the post will be deleted.

Subscribe